Nobody wants to be that person with a runny nose in an exam….
Getting sick could interrupt your studies (no student has time for a cold or the flu but it happens all the time…
Here are some tips for you to stay healthy during cold and flu season:
1. Always wash your hands: It may seem obvious to wash your hands after every trip to the washroom….but it is important to get into the habit of washing your hands at random times throughout the day. Try washing your hands before every meal to help avoid the spread of germs.
2. Carry around alcohol-based hand sanitizer: If you cannot follow step #1 a good alternative is to use a alcohol-based hand sanitizer. You can even get some nice colourful holders for them at Bath and Body Works (that way you can be healthy while staying in fashion!)
3. Eat healthy options: It is always imporant to fill your body with foods that are rich in nutrients but it is extra imporant during flu season. Make sure you are eating food rich in vitamins that will fight off those cold/flu germs.
4. Get your sleep: This can be especially hard right now during midterm season but make sure you are getting your sleep. A good suggestion is to try to get at least 6 hours of sleep each night.
5. Try to avoid people who are sick: Easier said than done….I know….but try to make a special effort to avoid people when they are sick (if you can). One of the easiest ways to spread infection is to travel in public when you are unwell. If you are sick, stay home. Nobody wants your germs, trust me! Stay warm and recover in bed if you can.
6. Get a flu shot: It could be the No. 1 way to prevent the flu!
Did you know that Western Student Health Services offers free flu shots for students?
Visit the Health Services website today to book an appointment or call them at 519-661-3030
Be healthy everyone,